If you cannot find the answer to your questions or just need some guidance from us please get in contact with us via our Contact us and book an appointment page.

Will we sell your car?

I have outstanding finance against my car. Can you still sell it for me?

A: We understand that there are some vehicles that do have outstanding finance against them and so we can arrange the settlement of any outstanding finance on your car once we have found a buyer because once they transfer the money to we will settle the finance ourselves and then provide the buyer with a clearance letter.

Do you buy cars with private registration plates?

A: We’ll be happy to sell your car with a personalised registration if you have no interest in keeping it. However, if you wish to keep your personalized registration it’s easy to transfer it to another car or put the registration onto a retention certificate so that it can be sold or reassigned at a later date. The fee to transfer a personalised registration to another vehicle is £80.00. If you would like to retain the number and put it on retention the fee is £105.00 (this includes the £80.00 transfer fee and a £25.00 retention fee to retain it for a year).

To find out more about personalised registrations and to locate your local DVLA office, visit the DVLA website

What if my car is an import?
We will still be happy to try and sell your car if it is an import but it has to be registered in the UK. In some instances, models and specifications do vary from country to country, so the achievable price may differ from that of a UK supplied car in some circumstances.
There are two types of import: a “parallel” import (a car purchased within the EU) and a “grey” import (a car purchased outside of the EU).
Will you sell my company car?
A: Yes we can but we will need to see the following:
• A letter signed from the company director giving authorisation for that person to sell on their behalf.
• Company account details e.g. bank paying in book or company bank statement.
• One form of identification for the business address.
• Both sets of car keys if available.
• All service history and MOT certificates if available.
• V5 logbook/registration certificate registered in the companies name and address.
Can the valuation you give me change?
A: We always carry out an inspection of a vehicle before we agree to sell it for you but once we have agreed on a value and a return figure that will not change.
If once we’ve inspected your vehicle we feel that its value is affected by any aspect of its history or condition, including any non standard modifications we will let you know before we agree to act as your agent and sell it. If there is any damage on your car we can also arrange for it to be repaired prior to photographing and advertising it. Please see our What if there is any damage on my car section
We guarantee we are willing to sell any car if we feel you’ll get a better return. However, we will also be honest with you if we feel that it would be waste your time.
What if there is any damage on my car?
A: We all know accidents happen, so if your vehicle has sustained any damage we can arrange to get it repaired. All of the bodywork is performed according to strict quality standards and carried out by highly qualified service experts. When your vehicle has been damaged it is important it is repaired using innovative technology and expert craftsmanship to return it to its top form. Innovative painting systems are used to ensure a superb colour match to the existing paint and a seamless finish to all surfaces – all work is guaranteed.
Is there a transaction fee?
A: All cars sold through require an up front one off arrangement fee of £99. This arrangement fee covers all the associated costs with regards to selling a car private.
Is there a fee if I decide not to sell my car through you?
A: Please see our terms and conditions
What about the value of my remaining road tax?
A: The remaining value of any road tax on your vehicle is a good selling point and we advise you sell your car with it. However, if you want to claim back any remaining value on your tax disc you can do so direct from the DVLA by filling in a V14 form.
Getting a valuation
A: This couldn’t be simpler, just follow the steps on our car valuation page:
1. Enter your car’s registration number into our website.
2. Provide us with the correct mileage
3. Leave your contact details so that we can get in touch with you.
Once we’ve been in touch with you and have taken all the information about your car into account we’ll give you a valuation. This process is completely free of charge and there is no obligation for us to act as your agent after this time.
I received a valuation from a few months ago, is it still valid?
A: The car market changes on a daily basis so in order to get the most accurate valuation we advise you to get in touch so we can work out a fresh valuation.
Will you offer to buy my car if I need to dispose of it sooner?
A: Yes we will offer to purchase your car from you at an agreed figure if you wish to dispose of it sooner.
How do you calculate the valuation for my car?
A: We sell cars every day and therefore we have access to the real value that cars are currently achieving in the market.
Our team of expert vehicle sales executives take all of the details that you give us into account and individually price your car based on the information provided.
A friend or family member has passed away, what happens to their car?
A: Naturally, when somebody close to you has just passed on, the last thing you will feel like doing is selling their car particularly if it holds happy memories for you and other people. We Sell Any Car Privately Ltd are sensitive to this and are happy to help if we can.
I am moving abroad, what should I do with the car?
A: To a certain extent, the answer to this question depends on how much time you have available before you leave the country. If you have plenty of time before you leave then great. However, if you want us to sell your car for you once you’ve left the country we can do this as long as all documentation is concluded before you go and we have a bank account in which we can transfer the money into once a sale has been concluded.

Making an appointment

How do I make an appointment for you to come and inspect my car?
A: Once we’ve given you your valuation over the telephone, we will be able to make an appointment for you to have a consultation with one of our retail experts at a time and place that is convenient to you and will let you know what documentation we’ll need to see.
Can I just turn up at your business address?
A: As a big bonus to the service we offer, we come to you.
Can I keep my car whilst it is being advertised?
A: Yes you can. We understand that you may need to keep you car whilst it is being advertised and this is not a problem. However, if you are driving it on a daily basis you need to keep us informed of the mileage because this affects the sale price.
What do I need to have at an appointment?
A: It’s extremely important that we establish that the person wishing to sell the vehicle is actually the legal owner; therefore we require the following details:
• Two forms of identification – One must be an original photo ID such as a passport or photo card driving licence. You must also provide a proof of address item; accepted forms include a utility bill or council tax letter dated within the last 90 days. Please note they must match the name and address on the logbook (V5/C).
• Both sets of car keys if available. The valuations we provide mean you have to have two sets of keys for your vehicle. Please note that if this is not the case and you only have one key for your vehicle the price we value your car at after inspection may be reduced because replacement keys can be very costly and can have a detriment effect at point of sale.
• All service history and MOT certificates if available.
• Bank details for an account in the name of the legal owner.
• V5 logbook/registration certificate which must be registered in the name of the current keeper. If the V5 logbook/registration certificate is still in the owner’s maiden name, you will need to bring a copy of your marriage certificate.
• If the vehicle has any finance outstanding we will require a letter with the settlement figure from the finance company.

Don’t forget to take out all of your personal belongs before we arrive.

How long should my appointment take?
A: The consultation process usually takes just 30 minutes. You will accompany one of our trained vehicle experts to your car whilst they conduct an inspection of the vehicle. You will then be invited to join our vehicle expert as they conduct a short test drive in your car. Please note that a road tax licence (valid tax disc) must be in place in order for us to test drive your car. Once the inspection has been carried out they will complete all the necessary paper work before we start acting as your agent.
What should I expect at an appointment?
A: You’ll meet one of our experienced vehicle experts who will carry out an inspection of your car to check that all the details you’ve supplied are correct.
If you’re happy and decide to allow us to sell your car for you, we will complete the paperwork and take your car away to get the ball rolling. This whole process should take no longer than 30 minutes.
Can I reschedule my appointment?
A: Yes of course you can, please contact us directly to reschedule your appointment.
What if the V5/C registration document is not in my name?
A: The V5/C (also known as the log book) holds the details of the registered keeper of the vehicle but the legal owner could be someone different. To prevent fraud, we will only agree to sell a car if we are able to verify all details are legitimate.
What if I have only recently become the registered keeper (less than 3 months)?
A: We may require from you a copy of your original purchase invoice or receipt. We only sell cars belonging to private individual’s or companies and do not sell cars on behalf of traders.
If we require anything in addition to your purchase invoice, we will endeavour to advise you prior to your appointment.
What if I don’t have a V5 registration document?
A: We are unable to act as an agent or sell any car without the original V5/C document (log book).

If you do not have one you can obtain a new document by filling in form V62 which you can download from the DVLA or pick up from any Post Office. The completed form and appropriate fee should be sent to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR. It normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a new V5.


How can I be sure that I will receive payment?
A: We Sell Your Car Privately Ltd will transfer all monies into your account of choice once it has cleared in theirs and the appropriate fee has been deducted. No car will be released to a buyer until the full balance has been received.
How will you pay me?
A: We use the most secure method possible – electronic bank transfer.
We’ll arrange payment direct to your bank account using the faster payment serviced offered so that the funds should be with you within 24 hours of a sale being concluded. There is no charge for this service and it protects you from the risk of carrying around large sums of cash or losing a cheque.
When will I receive the money?
A: We will pay you directly into your bank account within 24 hours of the sale and this should usually only take a maximum of 24 hours to be received into your bank account.
What if I owe more than the car is worth?
A: If you owe more on your finance than the value we achieve for your car, we will still be happy to sell your car, but you will need to pay us the shortfall by bank transfer once a sale has been concluded.
I am not the legal owner of the vehicle; will you pay the sale money into my bank account?
A: No. We can only pay money to the legal owner of the vehicle. If you are acting as an agent on behalf of the owner then we will only make payment to the legal owner’s instructed bank account.

Our Website

Why do you need my email address and telephone number?
A: We need your email address so that we can get in touch with you regarding the valuation once it has been calculated. We ask for your telephone number so that we can get in touch with you should you decide to allow us to act as your agent and sell your car on your behalf.
Please note, we fully adhere to the 1998 Data Protection Act and will not divulge any of your personal details to third parties.
How do I unsubscribe from emails?
A: Please use the ‘unsubscribe’ link contained within the email.
What do I do if I’m unhappy with
A: We endeavour to return you the most money possible when we sell your car. However, if you feel that we have let you down in any way or have a suggestion of how we can improve our service, please email us at [email protected]
I have not received my valuation!
Valuations will be given to you after we have had a telephone consultation. If you’ve sent us an enquiry and we have not responded within 48 hours please check that you haven’t entered your email address or contact telephone number incorrectly or contact us via our contact us & book an appointment page

Alternatively drop us a line via the contact box below and we will come back to you shortly.